I`ve been to Dubrovnik on several occasions, but it doesn’t matter whether you are visiting for the first or hundredth time, this city will sweet you off your feet each and every time. You can`t help but feel wonderstruck by the everlasting beauty of the old town. For me personally it`s hard to image anyone becoming “tired” of stepping on the city`s ancient marble streets, looking at the flamboyant structures and walking along it`s stone walls that have protected it`s people for centuries.
I really don`t have to mention the beauty of the surrounding Adriatic Sea that possess the power to clean your soul. It`s no wonder that Dubrovnik is on the UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites.
The rise and fall of this ancient city is simply astonishing. In our recent days the shelling of Dubrovnik in 1991 marked a horrifying and shameful chapter in our history books, but luckily the city has managed to restore its characteristic vigor and rise again in it`s all might and glory.
If you ever plan to visit (and you certainly should) here are a couple of must do’s:
- Take your time for your new experience to sunk in, relax and enjoy in the Mediterranean lifestyle and watch the never-ending play of light and stone glazing over the azure sea;
- Take a ride in the exhilarating cable car all the way up to Mt Srđ;
- Explore and learn about the city`s history on a guided walking tour;
- Take a break inside the Franciscan Monastery where you will discover a hidden courtyard garden;
- See the old port (built from the 14th to the 16th century) and visit the Maritime Museums;
- Go the extra mile and see Fort Lovrijenac (you might remember it from the first season of Game of Thrones) – it`s well worth a visit;
- Discover the taste of genuine Croatian wine in the heart of the city just down a side alley of the main street;
- At the end when you are finally exhaust, plunge into the azure sea for some nice refreshment and enjoy your time under the Croatian sun…
P.S. If you are in need for a place stay or things to do look for my friends at LsAdriatic, they got it all covered!