Amsterdam, the city that started its existence as a small fishing village near the river Amstel, today stands as one of Europe’s mightiest cities. It holds the title “the world’s’ capital of fun and freedom,” as well as one of the most romantic places on the Old Continent. Also, Amsterdam is considered to be one of the best cities in the wold to live in.
Here is something that you might find interesting…
1. There are more the 1 million bicycles in Amsterdam and only 700.000 residents, which makes’ it the European capital of cycling. There are more than 15.000 km of bicycle paths and that`s why bicycle tours are the best way to see the city.
2. Amsterdam has the highest concentration of museums in the world. 51 to be exact. Amongst them is the world famous Van Gogh Museum as well as the house of Anne Frank.
3. The city airport is the fist in the world that has its own museum. That will definitely give you something to do while waiting for your next flight.
4. In Amsterdam abandoned cats find refuge on a boat, and are cared for by volunteers. It`s becoming one of the city`s biggest tourist attractions.
5. Almost ¼ of the city is under see level. That`s way there are specially built water dams preventing it from sinking under the North Sea.